Sunday, February 24, 2008

The roads aren't that bad...

So, all of the presidential candidates on both sides of the aisle are talking about our “failing infrastructure.” This is especially the case after the Minneapolis bridge collapse, which has now, at least partially, been blamed on a design flaw. To what extent is this true? Every time I travel, it is usually on the road, and given the amount of construction delays I have to deal with, I’d argue that the problem is not as bad as the politicians are making it out to be.

Let’s look at the construction in Orlando:

-The south portion of 429 was recently completed, creating a western bypass around Orlando and an alternative to I-4. Plans are being made to extend it to I-4 in Seminole County.

-The 408 east of downtown is being widened to 8-10 lanes.

-Maitland Boulevard is being extended and will become a toll road to alleviate traffic on US 441.

-It looks like the Turnpike-owned portion of the 528 is being widened to 6 lanes.

-The trainwreck known as the 408/I-4 interchange is being totally rebuilt. Because of the recent opening of one of the ramps, it now takes 3 minutes to go through the Westbound 408 to Eastbound I-4 interchange in the morning rather than 20 minutes.

-Talks are being made to add two lanes to each side of I-4 from Kirkman Rd. to SR 434, with the road already being 8 lanes across already.


Furthermore:


-After the construction in Flagler and Brevard counties are complete, I-95 will be at least 6 lanes across throughout the entire state of Florida.


-I-95 in Jacksonville is a disaster because of whatever that is they are doing up there.


-Georgia: They’re always doing something on those roads.


-I drove on I-20 in Louisiana for the first time in 4-5 years, and it was actually a smooth drive.


Yes, this isn’t an exhaustive list of every construction project going on in the country, but given all of this construction traffic I have to deal with each time I travel in this corner of the country, I find it hard to believe that the rest of the country is falling apart.

No comments:

Post a Comment